Sunday, September 19, 2010

Slaw Salad

This salad is another favorite from the “How Lovely Cooks the Meat” cookbook. In case you missed it, you can read about the family cookbook in my post about Spanish Rice.

Like Spanish Rice, Slaw Salad is another dish you will find at a Davis family reunion. That is, my Davis side. (Side note: For those new to my blog, my maiden name was Davis and I married someone with the same last name. While I’m from the Nebraska Davis clan, James is from the Texas clan). Anyway, I digress as usual . . .

I often referred to this salad as Sue’s Salad because it was my Aunt Sue who first brought the salad to a family gathering many many years ago. This is the easiest and quickest thing in the world to make. If you have a potluck to go to, I would highly recommend taking this. I personally like this salad on the crunchy side (ie, tossing everything together and then eating it soon after). My husband likes it when the noodles have had a chance to soak up the dressing and soften up. Either way Slaw Salad is the perfect “go to” salad.

The Ingredients . . .IMG_1637Green onions, two packages of ramen noodles (oriental flavor is the best), shredded cabbage (I use the bag mix), slivered almonds, sunflower kernels, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, and sugar.
You can certainly shred your own cabbage. I can pretty much guarantee that my aunt does. I am, however, lazy and like the bag mix. I only used one bag of cabbage (approx. 4 cups) for this salad, but I should have used a bit more. I would recommend 1-1/2 bags of pre-shredded cabbage or 6 cups of shredded cabbage.
 
Taking out some frustration . . .IMG_1639My favorite part . . . crushing the ramen noodles. It’s kind of like one of those stress balls. Just don’t pulverize the noodles.
 
Putting it all together . . .IMG_1643Combine the shredded cabbage, crushed noodles, sliced green onions (white and green parts), slivered almonds, and sunflower kernels in a big mixing bowl.
 
For this salad, I used a 2 ounce bag of almonds and added an equal amount of sunflower kernels. Pine nuts are also good for this salad.
 
Dressing it up . . .
MeasureIMG_1644 
MixIMG_1646
 PourIMG_1647Combine seasoning packets (from noodles) with  2/3 cup sugar,
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 of vegetable oil. Pour over cabbage/noodle mixture. I used my Pampered Chef Measure, Mix, and Pour to combine everything.
 
 All mixed up . . .IMG_1648and ready to eat!

As I mentioned before, this is perfect for potlucks. I’ve also served this at Thanksgiving as a side salad. It’s something you can prepare in advance (ie, night before) for softer noodles. If you want to serve right away, let it sit for at least 20 minutes. The noodles will still be crunchy, but they will absorb some of the dressing. I hope you enjoy!

One more thing . . . I will continue to include the text recipe below the picture version, but I’ve also added the ability to print recipes without having to cut and paste somewhere else first. Just look for the “Printable Recipe” link.
 

Slaw Salad                      Printable Recipe
Ingredients:
   5 green onions, slice (white and green)
  1-1/2 bags of shredded cabbage (approx. 6 cups)
   2 packages of ramen noodles (oriental flavor)
   2 oz package of slivered almonds
   2 oz (approx.) of sunflower kernels 
   2/3 cup sugar
   1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
   1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions:
1. Crush ramen noodles. Put seasoning packets aside.

2. Combine the shredded cabbage, crushed noodles, sliced green onions (white and green), slivered almonds, and sunflower kernels in a big mixing bowl.You can also add pine nuts or use in place of the almonds and/or sunflower kernels.

3. Combine seasoning packets with sugar, apple cider vinegar, and vegetable oil. Pour and stir into cabbage/noodle mixture.

Note:
For softer noodles, prepare in advance (ie, night before). If you plan to serve right away, I recommend letting it sit for at least 20 to 30 minutes. The noodles will absorb some of the dressing but will still be crunchy.

BlogSignaturesmallercopy-1

No comments:

Post a Comment