Monday, September 27, 2010

My “cook and go clean” Chili

I love this time of year. The leaves are changing, the weather is cooler, and I can finally make chili without hearing my husband groan. It’s not that he doesn’t like chili, he’s just not a big fan of soup in general. Personally I love making big batches of different kinds of soup so I can freeze and have later in the Winter.
 
For some reason, my family loves my chili. It receives rave reviews every time I’ve made it. And, I honestly can’t say why. All I do is dump a lot of stuff in and season it to taste. It’s not spicy and it’s not blah. It’s just right. hmmmm…perhaps my wooden spoon is a magic wand!? Ha ha! Yeah right. Regardless, it has become a family favorite. In fact, my hubby actually gave high reviews for the batch you are about to see. Score!
 
Along with Fall cooking comes Fall decorating and, of course, Fall cleaning. Oh Joy! Since I like to get the most out of my day and don’t have time to slave away in the kitchen, this is my “Cook and go Clean” Chili . . .
Lining up the ingredients . . .IMG_1745Ground beef, white onion, ketchup, chili beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, green chiles, tomato sauce, chili powder.
 
I wanted a big batch of Chili so I used 2 lbs of ground beef, 1-1/2 cans of green chiles, and large cans of chili beans and tomatoes. You can certainly half the recipe if desired.
 
You can substitute ground turkey for the ground beef (or do half and half). It tastes just as good but you may need to work harder to get it seasoned properly.
 
It’s all in the seasoning . . . IMG_1746In a large pot, brown the ground beef. I sprinkle it liberally with chili powder because I think this is what sets the flavor.
 
IMG_1748
While the ground beef is browning, add chopped onion (to taste) and one can of green chiles. Continue browning and then drain grease.
 
Adding the good stuff . . . IMG_1752 
Add tomatoes. You can use any type of tomatoes (diced, crushed, whole, etc.) For this batch I used whole tomatoes and cut them up with the wooden spoon.
 
In the past I’ve used the “tomatoes with green chiles” and “tomatoes in chili seasoning.” Both have very good flavor. Since I didn’t have any of these on hand, I just made sure I used a good deal of chili powder.
 
IMG_1753
Add kidney beans (drained and rinsed) and chili beans.
 
IMG_1758
For a little bit of sweetness, I add about a tablespoon of  ketchup. I also add approximately 3/4 of a large can of tomato sauce and another good sprinkling of chili powder. Add salt and pepper as needed!
 
If I do not have enough liquid from the tomatoes, chili beans, and tomato sauce, I will add  liquid by mixing water with the juices from the cans. Obviously, if you want a chunkier soup, you may not even bother with this.
 
Adding more liquid . . .
Add enough water to catch the “stuck-on” juices. I do this with both cans (chili beans and tomatoes). IMG_1754
Mix the liquids together and add to the pot. IMG_1757
My Method:  Cook and go clean . . . IMG_1760
Bring to a boil and then let simmer for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally. The longer it cooks, the better it tastes.
 
Come and get it . . .IMG_1763
Here it is about 3 hours later.
It will be even better in a few days when it’s re-heated.
 
Ready to eat . . .IMG_1765
I love my chili with cheese and fresh onion.
Mmm mmm mmm . . .
 
WAIT!!!
IMG_1767 
Almost forgot the Fritos! Now we’re good.
 
 
“Cook and go Clean” Chili                      Printable Recipe
Ingredients:   
   2 lbs of ground beef
   1/2 white onion, diced
   1-1/2 cans of green chilies
   Chili beans (large can) 
   Whole tomatoes (large can)
   Kidney beans (regular can)
   Tomato sauce
   Ketchup
   Chili powder.

Directions:
1. In a large pot, brown the ground beef. Make sure you have sprinkled the ground beef with chili powder.
2. While the ground beef is browning, add chopped onion (to taste) and one can of green chilies. Continue browning and then drain grease.
3. Add tomatoes to the meat mixture. If using whole tomatoes, cup up with the wooden spoon.
4. Add kidney beans (drained and rinsed) and chili beans.
5. Add about a tablespoon of  ketchup.
6. Add 3/4 of a large can of tomato sauce.
7. Add additional chili powder (to taste).
8. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally. It’s better the longer it cooks.

Notes:
You can substitute ground turkey for the ground beef (or do half and half). It tastes just as good but you may need to work harder to get it seasoned properly.

If you do not have enough liquid from the tomatoes, chili beans, and tomato sauce, add more liquid by mixing water with the juices from the cans. If you want a chunkier soup, you may not even bother with this.

Add salt and pepper as needed!

BlogSignaturesmallercopy-1

No comments:

Post a Comment